Friday, June 28, 2019

What happened to TWO years?

I can't believe it is summer of 2019! AND I haven't posted since May of 2017? I know it's been busy, but good golly . . . time flies, priorities change, and life is still moving forward.

So, in a nutshell, here is some of our goings ons:

  • 2017 looked like this:
  • There were quite a few funerals, but the one that struck me was Rosemary's mom. Joyce had stage four lung cancer and only survived four months from the diagnosis. She and David were remarkable folks and have left a giant hole. Rosemary is the first of us to lose, not only her dad, but her mom as well. 
  • The 4th of July was different as Darin volunteered to drive a wagon for the football team. I played with the Alumni band and then we went to the Delaware County parade with the farm wagon in the afternoon. Fun day before fireworks in bed!
  • We went to the Outer Banks in July for my birthday. It was the first time I had gone with them on vacation during my birthday, and I must say, it was a wonderful way to celebrate. Nothing like being on the beach on the day you were born.
  • Zane entered high school and was on the freshman football team, occasionally getting on JV. He did letter in wrestling during the winter. The coaches were just fantastic! We really liked the Cornell coaches, but they were let go, unfortunately. It was the start of a new phase for all of us. He and Grant started working on getting their driver's license in February 2018. Took classes at ACE Town & Country for three hours at a time, plus started driving with instructor during the summer. 
  • Darin stays the same. He looks the same, except for losing hair, and having to go on high blood pressure medicine. Still trying to balance that out as doctor keeps changing the types. 
  • 2018 was another story:
  • Snowy met  his maker for good on June 2nd. He was eaten by coyotes. He went out one night and never came back. I scoured the farm for him and finally after two days saw some buzzards in the soybean field behind the house. Asked Darin to go investigate, thinking it was something else, but he called and said I needed to come identify the remains. I only found his ear, and some fur, as I couldn't go further, but it was definitely Snowy. I couldn't imagine going the entire summer without a cat, so after getting the courage to go look at the Humane Society, I found a small female cat, only eight pounds, who was a mix of Six and Snowy. White underneath and feet, and tiger on top and tail. She has a white nose too. She was definitely an indoor cat as I spent the rest of the summer trying to acclimate her to going outside. I named her Mini, since she is literally the smallest cat I have ever had. Sometimes I call her Mini Lotta since Lotta was her shelter name. She is a lap cat for sure and started sleeping at the foot of Zane's bed at night. No accidents, completely housebroken, and spoiled with wet cat food!
  • Zane got his driver's license on August 22nd, and drives to school when he has practices or games. For football and wrestling! It was so helpful, especially later in the year for me. It was difficult during September for him to get 4H and football games juggled, but he did it. The coaches put him on the freshman team again, JV, and varsity. It was a wild season, but I think it helped him overall. He ran into a metal cabinet during woodshop and Darin took him to get seven stitches, since it was during the school day. Then, during wrestling practice, sports trainer called and said Zane was complaining that his chest hurt, so he had to go to the doctor and get an EKG to get reinstated. Turns out it wasn't his heart (thankfully), but he tore the AC in his right shoulder. This kept him off the mats for most of the season. I think he only had four or five events for the entire season. He still likes both sports, and with new coaches in wrestling, Darin and I were pleased overall. Zane needs to work on his grades his junior year to keep himself eligible in both sports too. 
  • Darin and I both had HS reunions. I didn't go this year, although R & C did. It just didn't interest me to go for the 35th. I think I will only do decades. We did go to Darin's 30th at All Occasions. It was fun as usual and glad to see him enjoy himself. He received award for most unchanged male! Worth going just for that!
  • Darin drove the wagon for the football team on the 4th of July. I played with the Alumni band and then we went with Darin's brother's family and the Wolfe's to Hocking Hills. We had rented a cabin for a couple of days. It was a lot of fun! Went canoeing and saw the fireworks at Fairfield County Fairgrounds. Great show and we are planning on doing it again next year. Win for sure!
  • Which brings us to 2019
  • Lots of changes. School changed locations to a brand new building. Very stressful. We all did the best we could and tried to go with the flow. Lowest test scores for me, ever. It may require a change in the test when Jen comes on board as I just couldn't get all of it covered. No excuses, just poor planning. Still have things that are to be fixed or completed this summer, so I am looking forward to a blank slate in August.
  • Zane ended up having hand, foot, and mouth disease after wrestling finished. That did not help his end of the year grades, but he passed everything, but barely. He really has to buckle down or he will not be participating his senior year. His weight is off the charts. He has got to stop eating everything he sees. We already got his physical completed for his junior year and it wasn't pretty. I will probably still have a complete physical done by his doctor in the fall with blood tests to make sure he isn't off in other areas. If he doesn't start losing the weight, he won't be able to wrestle this year either. Zane still hasn't started his woodworking project for 4H. He is not doing the goat, so that is off the table. He has been really good about going to football conditioning and wrestling this summer. 
  • Planting did not go well, although they got all the beans planted, and some replanted. Terrible amount of rain. Already ten inches above the yearly average and it's only June. Darin finally was able to start spraying again, and hoping he gets done soon and maybe we can take a small vacation.
Thus, we are sort of caught up to the present. I left a lot out, specifically all the folks who have passed away. This year we have already lost Carlos and Chuck. Dwight is ill with stage four lung cancer as well, but so far, is fighting it. Has side effects from the radiation, but he appears to be holding his own. I hope he is in remission.

No comments:

Post a Comment