Thursday, November 23, 2023

Getting caught up through a Pandemic, Retirement, Graduation, 20th anniversary, AND MORE!

 So I don't know why I thought of checking the blog, but I did, and was SHOCKED to see how much time had passed and how many things have changed in life and living! Everything is different!

Leaving off from the summer of 2019, here are some highlights, followed by 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023:

  • Zane became a junior the August 2019. Football, 4H, and farming were the main focal points. He had many friends in the senior class and was able to play varsity football, with no junior varsity on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately, Zane got a concussion during game seven and was out for the rest of the season. He also didn't pass American History and needed to take Apex online history class during the second semester.
  • Cathy Shinaberry retired in October 2019. She invited me to her party at East after school which was just lovely. Gave her a scroll of Silent Night, one of her favorite Christmas carols.
  • Darin, as far as I remember, was fine. As usual. Still plugging away.
  • If I think of more, I will do some editing later.
2020 was a year no one will ever forget.
  • January saw Darin having a colonoscopy. They found five polyps and burned them off, but he will need another colonoscopy in 2024, not in ten years like most folks. Need to stay on top of it.
  • In February, KRC met in Berkley Springs, WV, at Rosemary's friend's cabin. We had the most perfect time, the weather was so warm we didn't wear coats, and was truly one of the nicest places I've ever been. The three of us didn't know what was going to happen in less than a month, but looking back at this KRC, we were SO happy that it was such a highlight of our year!
  • March 13, 2020 (also a Friday) was the last day of school in person for the school year due to the coronavirus pandemic. I remember going to Meijers and trying to get some staples and standing in line for an hour and a half. From then on, we ordered online and had it delivered for months. School was completed online. Zane was able to pass all his classes, including the Apex make up class for American History, and ALL of his other classes. I was on him, like fly on stink, but he did it. I told him it would make all the difference when he was a senior and didn't have to deal with it. This came true! I had to create modules for K-2 and 3-5 since our new building was now K-5. Specials had to keep track of the students who didn't turn in work just like the other teachers. Tried to contact folks the best I could, but boy, was it stressful. I was so happy when we went back to school in person for the new school year in the fall.
  • In the summer, I took two modules to help with online teaching/Schoology and also received two days off during the school year to make up for it. We did try and visit Stephen and Sharon. We stayed in a hotel, with masks, and visited the new Army museum, but Stephen was ill and we left early. Turns out it wasn't Covid or a heart attack, but it was pneumonia.
  • Went biking with Bernadette, usually either Rails to Trails or some of the Columbus Metro Parks bike paths,
  • Zane's senior year started apprehensively due to masks, and other unknowns. School was strange with students wearing masks, using the smart board none stop, and a schedule that went by the nine weeks, not a four day rotation. I had the same students for an entire nine weeks, except the last nine weeks was really twelve for some bizarre reason. In October, I decided to retire and submitted my letter in time to receive an extra 1K. It was a time of such uncertainty and not knowing what would happen next. We had a new principal and Zane was the last class of his principal at the HS. The senior football banquet was at a church auditorium and it worked out just fine even with wearing masks. His team lost their last game to Delaware Hayes in the muddiest game ever. It was so sad, yet moving, that the seniors, both players and cheerleaders, walked the entire length of the field. 
  • What a most odd, scary, sad, overwhelming, and unusual year. 
2021 was a full year, but with much more happier events.
  • True to form, my last nine weeks was the most difficult, due to the combination of students. It solidified my choice to retire early. Thirty three years instead of thirty five, but I couldn't have done any more. Totally worn out, exhausted, and in pain due to my hip. More on the hip later.
  • Wrestling wrapped up in February as Zane didn't make it to states. He did really well this year and received the wrestling team's MVP and Baron awards! I was so proud of him. He tried to share the Baron award with Will, but coach said it wasn't a sharing award. At least he tried, as Will deserved it too!
  • Unfortunately, Dwight passed away May 3rd. Helen had a small ceremony and he is buried in Blendon Township cemetery. Ada came to live with her as she and JD were getting a divorce.
  • Zane and Grant graduated in May and their ceremony was outside at OWUs Selby Stadium. It was hot, but they had water bottles, and things went smoothly. Dad was able to come too. I have never been so proud of anyone! Zane was glad that it was over, even though I know he misses football and wrestling and his friends.
  • I officially retired on June 30th, but turned everything in on June 3rd, so that I could be done with it. Naomi came and observed a day in May and I know she will do a good job at West. Very bittersweet and the staff gave me a nice party at a restaurant near the zoo. It was outside, a tad chilly, but such a nice send off.
  • Bernadette and I continued biking usually on Mondays. Again Rails to Trails or Columbus Metro Parks. 
  • Darin and I celebrated our 20th anniversary by moving two pianos. Mary Jo Lane graciously offered her baby grand, and I asked the HS if they would like my console for the orchestra pit. Did all the moving through Integrity Moving Company, and I would highly recommend them. Everything went off well! I love the baby grand! It will go back to Naomi Lane whenever I pass, as her name is on the bottom from her grandmother, Mary Jo. Took her some yellow roses and sunflowers as a thank you.
  • Zane became a full time employee of Hardscrabble Farms and hasn't looked back. I wish he would attend college, but he seems happy farming.
  • I started going to Sourcepoint in the mornings for pool walking to help my left hip. It was a wonderful way to start the day and gave me a schedule to follow. Started reading again and practicing every day, along with learning to be a go-fer for the farm and feeding the family on a rotation with Connie and Carolyn.
  • Again, there's more, but I will have to come back and edit later.
2022 was a year of healing.
  • Decided to start a reading challenge on goodreads website. Set a goal of 20 books. Was able to read 22 and made a little ornament with copies of the covers inside.
  • Met Susan in Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky. Almost to TN on the western side of the state. It was lovely and we had a good time catching up and exploring the area. Enjoyed Paris, TN, just across the border and played games. Went kayaking for the first time, but my hip was hurting so we only spent an hour on the lake. It was gorgeous and so serene. Planning on next year meeting up somewhere different.
  • I don't remember much until June which is when KRC met again at Rosemary's friend's cabin in Berkley Springs, WV. I was in a lot of pain from my hip and even took ice packs with me to use in the car. I couldn't walk far and Rosemary was kind enough to book us at the hot springs, which really felt good!
  • Biking with Bernadette only until July as the pain was too much. Also had one day that was super humid and hot that I about passed out. Nothing to do with hip, just cannot take the heat!
  • Went to the doctor in July as the naproxen was not working anymore and I couldn't even ride my bike without major pain. She sent referrals to an orthopedic surgeon and also a general surgeon for the bump on my back that had started growing. Turns out by I had two surgeries by the end of the year.
  • Starting with my hip. I saw Dr. Michael McShane at Orthopedic One, with his PA Ron and nurse Lisa. They were excellent at everything. Had the surgery on August 3rd, at Riverside, and I ended up staying the night as I couldn't pass the PT. Left the next day around 4 p.m. It was a lot, but I am so glad that I did it and that everything went well. The worst part was not being able to drive for six weeks. I was very happy to have the handicapped parking placard though.
  • Gary had surgery, also at Riverside, on his bladder, trying to scrape out the tumors. Turns out they didn't get them all and he went back into surgery for a second time later that day. He came home after three days, but good grief! He continues to have issues.
  • After realizing I was well enough for another surgery, in October I contacted the general surgeon, and his PA took the responsibility of taking out the bump before the end of the year, since it was paid for due to our deductible being completely used for the hip surgery. Had the outpatient surgery in Marion on December 6th. I even drove myself there and back. Turns out the bump was a hemangioma, a vascular tumor that is benign, otherwise like a strawberry mark, but under the skin. That took six weeks to heal, but again, so glad it is gone, after having it for thirteen years.
  • October 6th I met with Stephen, mom and dad, and their pastors to try and mend the shunning that has occurred since March 13, 2005. It was compromised on both sides, but things have started to be better between mom and myself. It is a small step process, even though she thinks it should be all better immediately. They had us over to visit in December when Stephen, Sharon, and Callie visited with Rob, Catherine, and Nolan. It was a nice visit. Again a small step at a time.
  • There's more, but it will have to be edited.
And now for 2023!
  • Still healing from surgeries, but so much better.
  • Started another reading challenge and set a goal of 20 books again, but we'll see how that turns out later. Currently on number 16.
  • Zane has become a full time farmer and is still living at home. He is a joy to have around and I love that he likes being home. I just wish he would socialize more with his friends his own age. 
  • KRC was in January at Rosemary's new house in Clintonville! So happy for her and it is just the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood. So close to the Olentangy bike trail and Riverside Hospital. I am just so happy for her finding this home for after she retires.
  • Took a short trip with Susan to Norris Dam State Park in Rocky Top, Tennessee in April. What a great place to meet and we went to Knoxville too. Shared paintings, games, and tried to make a fire with no success. Would definitely come back! Planning on meeting up next year somewhere different again!
  • Went biking with Bernadette and recorded rides in little book that I found at Norris Dam area shop with Susan. Had a good season overall, with one day at Delaware State Park off of 23 that was hot and humid. Got overheated again, but it was ok after finding a shade tree. It was great to ride without pain, although getting on and off is a little stiff.
  • Darin is dealing with kidney stones. This started September 9 after Drew Lewis' wedding. He has been seeing Ashley at Dr. David Brown's office. Great urologist place.
  • Zane took over the combine this year full time due to Gary having surgery and healing taking longer than expected. Zane did really well and all the fields produced well this year, even with the weird weather.
  • I hit two deer on October 23 at 8 p.m. going to Murphys. The entire herd jumped out of the cornfields just before North Galena Road. I was in Darin's truck. Fortunately, no one was hurt, there wasn't anyone else around in front of me or behind me, the truck was still drivable, and only 4K worth of damage. The deer disappeared, but I know they didn't do well. Was shocked they weren't on the road dead. Hoping the truck will be repaired soon.
  • Helen married Tim Hutson the same day that Drew was married.
  • Gary had bladder cancer and finally had it removed in August. It was done mainly by a robot, but there were complications and the surgery ended up twice a long than expected. He had a wound vac put on as the incision was not healing properly and had home health nurses come to assist in changing the wound and his p-bag as he calls it, until things get healed. He continues to regain strength and is doing ok overall. He celebrated 80 year on Saturday, November 18 at the Brown Township Hall from 12-3. He and Carolyn also celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary at the same time. He invited around one hundred people and it was nice to visit with folks. Mom and Dad came with Tim and Helen.
  • Thanksgiving is in two days and I remain in awe and gratitude for how much has happened, changed, and how life continues. So thankful for Zane and Darin. So thankful for my life with the Skinners and Hardscrabble Farm. I wouldn't change a thing. I love Darin so much sometimes it hurts. So grateful to Mary Jo for thinking of us both, even after all these years. Mom and Dad together continue to be a part of this era now and it helps that it is a better relationship now. Still not completely healed, but healing, in small steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment