Thursday, July 18, 2013

The living may not always be easy . . .

Here is a short poem, Sing a Song of Summer by Kay Winters, that I came across in the Columbus Dispatch recently:

When crickets sing
their evening song
and
fireflies turn
their lanterns on
and
spiders spin
at early dawn
and weave their cobwebs
on my lawn - 
It's summer.

Although some of our summer has appeared as the poem states, the majority of this summer has been putting out fires.  Fortunately, they haven't been big fires, just inconvenient, minor ones.  Our largest and saddest event was the passing of Darin's grandmother from Alzheimer's.  She lived a long and full life, however, the disease left her as a shell of her true self.  I am very much aware of her presence since Darin purchased her home that we live in, even though I never knew her in it.  Some of her things and memories are still here, but it doesn't bother me that these items haven't found a different home yet.  Someday they will, but until then, I get to browse every once in a while and discover her all over again.

Lots more to tell, including my 30th high school reunion, but it will have to wait until another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment